Overcoming Life Insurance Objections
Depending on which study you read, anywhere between 30 – 60% of American adults do not have life insurance. However, 90% of consumers think a “family’s primary wage earner needs to own life insurance,” according to 2018 Insurance Barometer Study, from Life Happens and LIMRA. So, we have a product that nearly everyone sees a need for, but few actually purchase.
There are several common reasons people give for going without coverage, most can be traced back to one overarching issue – misconception. In today’s marketplace, factors such as affordability and health-related qualifications are not nearly as much of an issue as they have been in the past.
That said, there is still a large portion of consumers who don’t seem to be fully aware of the options available to them. The first step in educating these consumers is to understand their apprehensions and misconceptions. The next step is to use that insight to address their objections and guide them toward a solution that meets their specific needs.
Below are the three most common life insurance objections agents and advisors hear from clients, along with some responses that could help overcome them:
“I can’t afford life insurance.”
Looking at some of the key findings from Life Happens and LIMRA’s 2018 Insurance Barometer Study, you can see why this is among the most common objection to life insurance. According to that study, 44% of Millennials overestimate the cost of life insurance by as much as five times the actual amount.
- “When was the last time you looked at insurance prices?”
- “Did you know that most people overestimate the cost of life insurance?”
- “We don’t really know what the price of insurance is because it’s based on underwriting. So let’s get you medically underwritten and then we can talk about what the actual numbers will be.”
Additionally, 61% of people don’t buy life insurance, or more than they already have, because of other financial priorities.
- “Did you know premiums increase with age. You’re never going to be any younger than you are today.”
- “Most people don’t get healthier as they age.”
“I don’t need life insurance.”
Even though this sounds like a hard “NO,” chances are it’s rooted in a lack of understanding about how life insurance works, and/or the benefits a policy could provide for them and their family. Also consider the possibility that, while one member of the household feels that way, others disagree. In fact, 90% of those who took part in the Insurance Barometer Study think a family’s primary wage earner needs life insurance. Roughly 35% of them say that if the primary wage earner died, the survivors would feel the financial impact within one month.
- “Why do you feel that way?”
- “How does the rest of your family feel about that?”
- “What about your final expenses?”
- “What plans have you made to make sure your family is taken care of after you’re gone?”
“I don’t qualify because of health issues”
While health issues, certain lifestyles, and occupational hazards can disqualify people from certain policies, most of them probably don’t realize they have options that don’t require medical underwriting.
- “You’re not the only one who has run into this problem. While you might not qualify for certain types of policies, there are other solutions. Would you like some information about guaranteed issue life insurance?”
- “Just about anybody can qualify for a life insurance policy, regardless of health issues. There are many different types that account for many different situations.”
- “Many people may have misconceptions about the underwriting process, what is prompting you to say that?”
Beyond the “Big 3” listed above, there are numerous reasons a person might give for turning away from life insurance coverage. However, because most objections stem from misconception, the solution is simple – education.
Request our Life Insurance Awareness Month Kit to make the most out of your life insurance prospecting efforts.
What You’ll Get:
- Customizable Prospecting Letters
- Email Drip Templates
- Life Insurance Prospecting Ideas
- Concept and Presentation Pieces
- Consumer Facing Life Insurance Overview Powerpoint and more!